Friday, July 15, 2011

Our Heritage and Inheritance

Mornings are my favorite time of the day. Not only is the air breathable and cool, but I get to sit outside and hear the birds, watch Emmaline (my 7 month-old Yorkshire Terrier) play, look up at the clouds, watch the gorgeous sun yawn and stretch its legs, and spend some quiet time with my gracious Heavenly Father.
I’m in a Bible study currently at StoneWater Church called, “The Inheritance” by Beth Moore. It’s fascinating that God has made us, who love and have a relationship with His Son, to be co-heirs with Christ and heirs of the most magnificent inheritance I could ever try to imagine.
But to go back and read where that inheritance began - in Genesis - proved eye-opening this morning. A few things stood out that I’d never thought about much before, and it left room for me to ponder. The first and most important being: Genesis 1:26, “Then God said, “Let US make man in OUR image, in our likeness…”
This shows us that Jesus and the Holy Spirit were with Him in the beginning. He doesn’t say, let ME make man in MY image. Pretty awesome!
The other verses that stood out to me were Genesis 1:4, “God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.” I wonder if it’s a reference to good and evil because He knew that even though He created man in His image, left up to man’s own devises and choices, man would be darkness in the world.
And then He designed the sun and moon, Earth, stars and other galaxies. Makes me wonder why He chose us for Earth out of all the other planets out there. (Personally, I’ve always loved Saturn, but who am I to question God?)
It’s also curious that God created the birds of the air and creatures of the sea and land before He created man. That tells me He loves animals very much. I don’t want to speculate too much, but I suppose He had to create things for man to rule over and not the other way around, even though plants and animals were created first. Everything that God created, He looked at, “and saw it was good” except for man. On the day when He made man, the Bible says, "He looked at all He had made, and it was very good."
But, man is of more value to God than anything else that He created because we alone, in all creation, are capable of a personal, loving relationship with God.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment