Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stay Close

Stay Close
By Melissa Wren

It’s at these times when God is
As near as the next tear
That falls from my tired eyes

I’ve tried to follow your commands
Attempting to keep the pace
Hoping to meet your expectations
When I finish the race

When I’ve given up
Stay close
When I self-destruct
Stay close

I long to feel your flesh
The touch of your hand
On my skin, even if by obligation
Reminding me of your human temptations

Can I curl up in your arms
The rest of this life
Fall asleep
Until I wake up as your wife?

As much as I fail
Give in to the things
I don’t want to do

I believe you still love me
Which should be enough
You’re a God of compassion
Of reckless, regardless empathy

When I’ve given up
Stay close
When I self-destruct
Stay close

The days get longer
Hiding from fear
Losing ground on my purpose
Wishing I could disappear
Wanting desperately to know you’re near

You know I’m flawed
My heart so repulsively sick
I lay down in my own filth
So terribly yet justly tragic

But your plans are not to harm
Why do I fight to surrender?
I know you will disarm
With gentleness, grace so tender

You keep taking me back
Despite my willingness to
Distract from the lessons
I refuse to see

When I’ve given up
Stay close
When I self-destruct
Stay close


No comments:

Post a Comment