Thursday, October 14, 2010

Days Like These

I’ve been caught in my joy twice this past week. Once while I’m on the way back from Ft. Worth by a good looking man in a convertible and once on my way to church in Glen Rose by the police.
I’m driving south on 377, having a Jerry McGuire moment, like the one he had when he’s in the car singing “I’m Free” after just signing Cush. Except I’m belting out, “Deliver Me” by Bethany Dillon. I must have hit repeat at least three times before I realize there’s a guy with his top down too, right behind my car. And he’s smiling. Big time. I can’t figure out if he thinks I smiled at him first, but I decide he must have been tailing me for some time. It’s funny. I laugh.
We coast past Up-A-Creek Liquors, which makes for humble irony. It wasn’t hard to resist the damaged goods that awaited inside. I would certainly be up a creek if I stopped. The guy in the convertible finally turns off at the Last-Chance-Fina gas station, headed for Acton.
Then, different song, new day. Once again, it’s a sing-in-your-shower-and-car kind of day…and I’m off to church. Now I’m singing “Get Up And Walk” by the same artist when I suddenly look up to see the flashing lights of a police vehicle. Turns out my registration sticker expired in August, I don’t have my current proof of insurance with me, and I’m speeding.
Thank you Officer Nick for your forgiveness. I will try my best to “pay it forward.” I’m hoping my joy rubbed off on him.
What kind of joy are you caught in today? Hope it makes your heart sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment