Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Finish the Race

“Let us lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Hebrews 12:1
When I’m in chronic pain, whether it be physical and/or emotional, I have a choice in how I’m going to respond. I can react in a way that pleases and glorifies God or I can behave selfishly and throw myself a pity party. I’ve certainly done the latter more times than I’d like to admit because it’s hard, and I’ve chosen not to focus on God’s purposes in it.
Currently I’m ashamed to say that I’ve allowed the reality of dealing with four distinct illnesses to overwhelm me. It’s easy to want to give up; the hard thing is to choose to continue to fight with the strength God gives me each day. I’ve discovered that every day is a new day, meaning my circumstances are usually challenging in different ways, and if I don’t force myself to thank God for all He’s given me and for what I do have, then Satan gets a foothold.
I probably wouldn’t trade all the “problems” I think I have with another’s because my list of blessings far outweighs them. What do I really have to complain about? Nothing. I’m reminded of Jesus and everything he suffered and know He understands. He literally took on the weight of the world and died for me for all the mistakes I’ve made in my life so that I can spend eternity with Him. I’m so undeserving, and yet He loves me just the way I am. How can I possibly let pain get the best of me?
“Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or faint hearted.” Hebrews 12:3

No comments:

Post a Comment