Thursday, September 16, 2010

Benefits of Illness

“God would prefer we have an occasional limp than a perpetual strut. And if it takes a thorn for Him to make his point, He loves us enough not to pluck it out.”
Max Lucado

Here’s something I never thought I’d say a year ago: I’m thankful for the health challenges God’s given me.

I wouldn’t have a relationship with Christ without illness. I’d have the head knowledge that He died for my sins and everything I learned growing up in church, but I wouldn’t know Him as a real person. Someone who set me free of my old ways and helped me understand that He’s all I need. Illness has forced me to recognize that God’s always with me, whether I acknowledge Him or not.

I continue to ask the Lord to give me the motivation and desire to read His word every day. I'll admit that often times, especially in the past, I've found the Bible a bit dull. God’s been faithful to answer my prayers and open my eyes to the beauty of what’s in His Word.

The Bible is the most exciting book I’ve ever read, and it’s come alive for me. I’ve been blown away by how much God speaks through it and how it applies to my life. Anything we can ever imagine doing is found in these pages.

I’m not too concerned at the moment about being free of illness. The Lord will heal me when and if it pleases Him.

If you aren’t ill, try substituting the word “illness” with another word that represents a challenge in your life. Where would you be without it, and are you thankful for it?

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."
Romans 8:18


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful words of wisdom regarding illness. I struggled for 5 years with unknown illnesses and spent many a days angry with the Lord for dealing me such a bum hand. I know now he was just preparing me for my future. My struggles and fights searching for an answer has now made it possible for my baby that has inherited the same health problems to live a happy healthy live. We don't always know why we must go through such trials but when and if we are allowed to see the outcome it brings such joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you and your baby, sweet Carmen. You are so right! I'll pray for you, as I know it can be a minute to minute battle sometimes...but one day at a time we just cling to God, and He draws closer to us. So nice to hear from you. Please keep coming back and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explanation of two of the illnesses I've been diagnosed with:

    FIBROMYALGIA: chronic pain of the soft tissues that may include the muscles, ligaments and tendons

    Symptoms: fatigue, insomnia, concentration problems, gastric upset, headaches, joint discomfort and depression

    Causes: traumatic physical and/or emotional illnesses can trigger

    Frequency, degree, and location of pain vary from day to day, and discomfort may range from mild muscle stiffness to extreme radiating pain so severe it is completely debilitating to perform simple daily activities.

    CHRONIC FATIGUE IMMUNE DEFICIENCY SYNDROME: debilitating condition marked with extreme exhaustion and fatigue

    Symptoms: substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration, sore throat, tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, multi-joint pain without swelling or redness, headaches of a new type, pattern or severity, unrefreshing sleep, and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

    Causes: Many patients experience a dramatic event, physical or emotional or a stressful period in their lives in which these symptoms emerge.

    *Two Resources – places I go for treatments

    Fibromyalgia & Fatigue Centers Inc.
    4521 S. Hulen St., Suite 200, Ft. Worth, TX 76109
    Ph: 817-924-1010
    www.fibroandfatigue.com

    Dolan Wellness
    2441 E. Hwy. 377, Granbury, TX 76049
    Ph: 817-579-9444
    www.dolanwellness.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. “God allows pain, sickness and disease not because He loves to vex man, but because He desires to benefit man’s heart, and mind and conscience, and soul, to all eternity.”
    J.C. Ryle

    ReplyDelete