Thursday, September 16, 2010

Obedience through Baptism

Getting baptized is something I didn’t want to do from the time I was 18 until the age of 32, even though I’d accepted Christ into my heart when I was 10.

The reason why – I’d been too busy self-destructing and knew I wouldn’t feel right making a public statement of faith while I continued to idolize bottles of wine and make poor decisions in my life. I no longer walked with Christ; I’d chosen my own way and become my own god.

So this past Sunday, September 12th, when I finally did get baptized, it was “for real” and out of a pure desire to be obedient to God. I can honestly and joyfully say that I long to live “in Christ alone” now and do His will. He’s all that matters.

Psalm 107 perfectly describes where I was last year before I moved back to Granbury and God transformed my heart.
Verses 17 – 21 say:

“Some became fools through their rebellious ways
and suffered affliction because of their iniquities.
They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
And he saved them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them;
He rescued them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
and his wonderful deeds for men.”

I’ve discovered there’s no greater way to fill the emptiness we often experience than falling in love with Jesus. He’s given me hope when I didn’t have any left and completely changed my desires.

Psalm 115:1 says: “It does not belong to us, Lord. The glory belongs to you because of your love and loyalty.”


I also became a member of Grace Community Church in Glen Rose, Texas. Check out www.gccministries.org for more info on this church.



3 comments:

  1. In addition, I just read this from a sermon by Jonathan Edwards called, "Jesus Christ the Same Yesterday, Today and Forever." (Edwards led the Great Awakening in the mid 1700's). He said, "We are under the solemn bonds of our baptismal covenant. The covenant was sealed in our baptism; we have expressly and solemnly promised to walk in obedience to all the commands of God as long as we live."

    ReplyDelete