Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wanting God's Will

“Don’t ask God to do what you want. Ask God to do what is right.”
Max Lucado
Most of us have dreams we hope come true. I wrote my first book in the fourth grade and got the principal’s stamp of approval with a note that said, “This book is really super!”
Well of course it was; it was a handwritten lined journal filled with silly stories about a nameless boy who “got in a lot of trouble.” I called it, “Me. Me. Me.” A best-seller at Emma Robertson Elementary. That’s when I knew I wanted to be a writer.
I wrote my first “real” book in eighth grade. I use the word “real” because it was 300 pages long. After my mom read it and told me she was “my number one fan,” I knew I’d officially made it.
I’ve always dreamed of being a famous mystery writer like Mary Higgins Clark. My dreams have evolved over the years though. Now I want what God wants, regardless of whether that includes fulfilling “my dream” or not. I desire to be in God’s will because I know that is true victory. Besides, I’m learning that His dreams for me are a lot bigger than I could have ever thought up on my own.
Last year at the Christian Writers Guild conference in Denver, Colorado, I heard Phil Vischer, the creator of VeggieTales, speak. Just ask him about his dreams and how he succeeded in God’s strength and failed in his own.
He said, “He who has God along with their big dream has nothing more than the one who has God alone.”
Puts things into perspective, doesn’t it? I’m curious, what are your life-long dreams and how have they come true?

3 comments:

  1. What impressed you the most about Phil's story? I curious about his walk that led him to create vegetables that teach kids about God.
    I just ask God to use me and it is scary to ask that because I have no idea how He might choose to use me, I just hope He prepares me for the call when it comes to take action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil's story impressed me because he spoke honesty about his failures and how he went bankrupt and lost Veggie Tales due to his own pride. His book, "Me, Myself, & Bob" is "A True Story About Dreams, God, and Talking Vegetables." I don't remember if he spoke about his inspiration, but his book might.

    We know we can do nothing to help God or do things for Him because He's self-sufficient, but I agree that it's good to wonder if there is anything God desires to do through us. He's given you assignments or will, and I have faith that you'll be prepared for this. He finishes what he starts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last comment was actually a response from Melissa to Kfox. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete